Friday, January 30, 2004

Verse 101

"To the right of the mind
of the mammal that is
(that I love as I love of
its songs in its longing)"

two, twenty-two, ancient
but new and green (and Sappho
dead), their Tender
shoots, their hesi-

tation, I count from the tips
of the tops of the keys,
swish go legs in their good jeans
and feet bounce under desk

a nervy turn in unscrewed chairs
attitude of a hip, "fabulous,"
"excellent" speech
I hear despite the debt.

Father sick, mother over-
worked, I am left
to hold the reins, I am Captain
of the ship, or queer

body is, if body acts as body
should, force the will, ye
tank, for goodness sake!
But now, for fifteen minutes

body sits and spirit amuses
asymmetrical, tapped out
beat by beat by beat, uncold,
how I did long for a bird,

and found he wants a song
and praise, sanely like
the Virgin Mary, but oh
honey, we're recovering Christians!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home