Wednesday, December 17, 2003

I am boiling water for my morning tea. I don't usually boil the water, but today I am.

There are so many letters from friends I need to address--
the one I am most concerned about is from Great Aunt Sister Jane in Ireland, who has suggested that if I ever have a question, I should ask god for guidance. This is an interesting suggestion on many levels.

I'm not sure I should even get into this--it's such a tricky subject. I mean it's even on our money--"In god we trust." I almost envy Emily Dickinson her puritan upbringing, in which there was almost assuredly never any question raised about god's existence, and his place in heaven. I could be wrong--Professor Blackhawk would be a good one to consult on that issue. It could be that Emily realized god in herself without ever actually having to reveal in an overt way what she was talking about when she said Him. It would be interesting to hear what a psychologist would have to say about that. I know that the ego is sometimes referred to in male terms regardless of whether it exists in a man or a woman.

And it's still interesting to think of god in terms of a person rather than a thing, like money. For example.

Hm. It doesn't have to be that way. We could make things god, and then barter our things, but then there is the question of how to put a value on things; ie, is that equal to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home