Thursday, December 18, 2003

Ten Terms for Thursday

1. The term "poor judgment." Mr. B would be a good example of one who uses poor judgment in his dealings.

2. White Privilege. I received an article about "white privilege" in the mail yesterday. How does this term manifest in everday life? At work, many of the privileged white kids have new clothes, new gadgets--cell phones, palm pilots, laptops. Of course, it isn't the white kids ONLY who have these things, but it's true that they are the majority.

Part of the reason they have these things is because their parents pay for their education so they have extra money to buy extra things. Their parents are able to pay for their kids' education because they probably have college degrees themselves, thus their earning potential is higher due to higher levels of education.

One might ask if it's a privilege to have all of these extra gadgets. To some people these gadgets might be considered necessities. I know that I use my cell phone every day and I'm very grateful for it because it's my primary means of communication, but is it a necessity? No, I must admit, it is not. Thank you, Dad, for that advantage.

3. Here is more of a thought than a term.
Surfaces, appearances, proper form, and the like, are perpetuated to reinforce certain structures within society. The people who stand to gain from those structures tend to want to protect their positions.

It sounds very serious, and it is because there's a lot at stake, but it's also important to remember, as a wise child once told me, they're just people.

4. If the ultimate goal is to propel humanity forward, why does so much genocide occur? Why are whole cultures, that have so much valuable knowledge to impart, wiped out?

5. Ooga-booga. That's what Shakey Jake said while I was heading to the office. He's right; I need to lighten up sometimes.

6. Attitude adjustment. I took my attitude to the shop;
it needed a realignment.

7. Organizational studies. These days, if you apply for secretarial positions, they want you to have a degree in organizational studies.

8. Leadership potential. See also Rosa Parks, Rita Dove, and Martin Luther King, Jr.

9. Koan. What is the sound of one hand clapping?

10. Bang the gong. (I'm built like a car and I've got
a hip cap daimond star halo.)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home