Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Interview with The New York Times

Renee: I saw you had an interesting article on body schemas in the science section today.

The Times: Yes... That was clever. (Aside to PR assistant: What are body schemas again?)

PR Assistant: Body schemas are created by the brain to develop a sense of space perception around the body.

Renee: The statement about jockeys feeling as if they become one with their horses intrigues me. The article said it is the same with cars, computer joysticks, and household tools such as snow shovels. I wonder what implication this has for the future?

The Times: That is a good question.

Renee: It reminds me of those gigantic monster-machines in The Empire Strikes Back and how amazing it was to see Princess Leia manipulate one of those things. What were those called?

The Times: Stormtroopers?

Renee: No. The really huge things in the blizzard at the beginning.

The Times: Ah--you mean The Walking Tanks.

Renee: Yes. Speaking of Empire Strikes Back, did you know some of the scenes were shot in Norway?

The Times: No--I don't see how that relates to the original discussion about body schemas.

Renee: Well, the whole idea of 'using the force' seemed to relate, since body schemas have to do with intuition, and 'using the force' is a mental thing. I read on The Empire Strikes Back website that 'the force' is reminiscent of Zen Buddhism.

The Times: I think I'm ready for my gin and tonic.

Renee: Wait! This is really interesting because in Zen Buddhism
there is an emphasis on enlightenment by means of direct, intuitive insights… Yoda echoes this concept when he complains about Luke, 'All his life he has looked away… to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was, what he was doing. Adventure! Excitement! A Jedi craves not these things.'

The Times: Nice quote, where did you find that?

Renee: www.starwars.com

The Times: I still don't see how this relates to body schemas.

Renee: Well, I read somewhere that it is always good to once-in-a-while put yourself in situations where you need to use your intuition in order to proceed through your surroundings. It jolts you out of the comfort of the everyday--or your comfort zone--so that you can keep your ability to react at its peak. This has to do with body schemas because I think that cars, especially, decrease your sense of vulnerability and increase your sense of power. Suddenly, you are no longer merely human, you are part machine, and you can run people over if you want.

The Times: Are you saying you think cars should be eliminated?

Renee: No. I like the speed of cars too much for that. In fact, I think that cars can be helpful in exercising your ability to react quickly. Your so-called motor skills.

The Times: So you're saying you want us to give you a brand new black BMW.

Renee: Yes. That is exactly what I'm saying.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home